I am sending a check this time vs a Credit Card to your foundation - I hope that is ok?

Dear Dr. Bob,

I hoe that me sending a check (instead of a credit card) from our Company is ok for your Foundation.

I have a question: My uncle who is HIV+ tripped and fell while on a walk the other day. He landed awkward against the curb and scraped his hand and arm up pretty bad. He really did mess them up quite badly from hitting the cement. Later that day, lets say 5 hours later I was at his house and he showed me his arm. He was messing with it - wiping his hands across the bloody scrapes, (within 5 hrs of healing by this time). After rubbing on his wounds with his hand, he immediately let his dogs out to go to the bathroom, Not thinking, when he came back into the house. Several seconds later I left for the day. I touched the door and the door handles and the gate that he just touched after messing with his arm. Now I'm thinking. I went golfing that day and I have some pulled back (exposed skin) on my hand that I used to open the doors an touch the gate with. Right after my uncle, my hands that are not bandaged or covered. Simple: What are my chances of getting HIV from what I just did here. Remember I had no bandage or covering over my messed of skin. I even had like a paper cut from the dryness and rubbing across the grip of my golf clubs. I also have some rough chafed areas of skin on my hands from being dry outside. What are my chances of touching anything and getting the HIV virus like this from my uncles wounds, after he is messing with his wounds (on his hand and arm) after he had touched anything, me touching seconds later?

I hope I wrote this in a way you could understand what I am asking here. :)

Thank you, Donation on it's way, Michael

Hello Michael,

Once again the scenario you describe presents absolutely no HIV-acquisition risk. None whatsoever. HIV is a very fragile virus and acquiring it is much more difficult than many folks realize. Take my case, for instance. I sustained a deep puncture wound and laceration with a hollow-bore needle I was using to perform a procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS. Even with very significant, very direct and immediate exposure to fresh HIV-tainted blood, such as my occupational incident with the hollow-bore needle stick, the chances of acquiring the virus are 1 in 300! (I happened to be the "1," but nonetheless I hope you get my point.)

Your fears are unwarranted. Spend some time perusing the archives of this forum. You'll find many questions similar to the ones you have been posting. The HIV-acquisition risk in all these scenarios remains nonexistent.

Regarding checks versus credit cards, the foundation warmly accepts both.

Be well. Stop worrying.

Urgent: Dog bit my aunt after biting my AIDS worker
franco ancora