Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pleading follow--up from admiring colleague
Jun 16, 2010

hi dr frascino

Im pleading for a reply to the query i made 1 or two days back. I tried seeking for a similar scenario in the archives but i cannot find one. I know you are busy but i will really appreciate your opinion (opinion that i will really value. reading the archives made me admire you more since you have been so straight and honest with how you answer our questions). I placed myself one PEP (3rd day) and if you tell me there's no need for it, i will stop it. I was the one who went to the sleazy gay massage parlor and was given a turkish bath where i lied down on the bed and showered with soap and water. although i was told it was cleaned (did not believe it), im afraid that the warm water that collected in the table and soaked my penis was contaminated with seminal fluid. is this a significant exposure? im a doctor myself, and somehow has a clue to the answer. but its difficult to be objective abt this. i will really value ur answer. im afraid to consult a doctor as i am embarrased with this incident. a simple yes or no will comfort me. will make a donation to your good cause.

admiring colleague

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Colleague,

See below.

Dr.Bob

confused whether to discontinue PEP Jun 16, 2010

Hi dr frascino

I've always admired your candor take and advices on HIV. I'm a gay doctor (still in the closet) who only practice mutual masturbation in gay massage parlor as outlet for sexual pleasure. Two days ago, when I went to the spa, I mistakenly agreed to have a Turkish bath where the masseur bath me in a bed with hot running water and soap. He masturbated me as well in the table. I'm afraid of having been exposed to previous clients' seminal fluid being retained in the bed. The masseur though said the bed has been washed and cleaned (but can't seem to trust his word). I started giving myself self prophylaxis with combivir since then. I'm confused whether to continue combivir or maybe I was just being paranoid? It's hard to be objective with my health or that of my family is on the line. Although u placed a towel at the table before lying down, the running water collects in the table (especially when I was prone, soaking my penis/ urethra). Would really appreciate hearing the correct wisdom from u.

Fr admiring colleague

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Closeted Colleague,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. I would suggest you discontinue PEP immediately.

"It's hard to be objective with my health . . . ." I absolutely agree and that's why physicians should never self diagnose or self treat!

I should also mention that as a physician you should realize that "closets" are health hazards. I would encourage you to come out. You can read mjuch more about massage parlors, HIV-transmission risks and even "coming out" in the archives of this forum. Have a look. I'm confident you'll find the information enlightening and reassuring.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ life, here I come!
Next
Question- Need Help Asap

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.