I bled while inside her

Dear Dr. Bob, Thank you for the amazing work you do for so many people. I would be grateful if you could answer a Q: I slept with a woman in early May and - either due to a scratch on the tip of my penis or prostatitis - bled while inside her. I have felt ill, had a urinary tract infection, and lost 20 pounds of weight in 6 weeks....and my testosterone level has crashed from 620 to 204. The HIV ELISA test and a Quest PCR DNA QL test were negative after 30 days. If my weight loss and symptoms were being caused by HIV, is it a certainty that that QL PCR test would have been positive?...how definitive is the PCR after 30 days?

Thank you so much,

Mike

Hello Mike,

How do you know you "bled inside her"??? By the way, "a scratch on the tip of the penis" and "prostatitis" are two extremely different conditions -- one very visible and the other, not.

Regarding qualitative HIV PCR DNA tests, these tests are not FDA approved for HIV diagnosis (although they can be useful in sorting out confusing HIV-antibody tests). We don't have a way of determining how "definitive" this type of test is at 30 days. The gold standard for HIV diagnostic testing remains the HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period.

In light of your urinary tract infection, bleeding, weight loss and feeling "ill," you should see your doctor or a urologist for an evaluation.

Good luck Mike.

confused whether to discontinue PEP
ICMA test