how can he be HIV positive?

Dear Robert, My partner has been tested HIV positive (ELISA & Western Blot)in May 2010. He is 29 yeras old. His CD4 count is 294. I am tested negative. We have been married for 2.5 years now and have had unprotected sex many times. Our doctor has told that he is carrying the virus for 2-3years and we are a discordant couple. Now we always use a condom while having sex.

My husband has never been involved in any man or woman other than me. He has never taken any illicit drugs, no blood transfusions, no accidents, no cuts nothing. Then, HOW CAN HE BE TESTED POSITIVE?

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY OF TRANSMISSION OF VIRUS. Do you think it's a false positive!

His ESR rose to 77. He also had shingles in Feb'10 for which he took medicines and it got corrected.

Before getting tested for HIV, he suffered from food poisoning and inflammation in ankles. Can there be a cross reaction which is giving a positive result.

He is currently taking Vonavir at bedtime. But suffering from fatigue, burning sensation in eyes, dizzyness and troubled sleep. He is taking a balanced diet everyday and certain ayurvedic medicine for boosting immunity.

Please suggest should we go for a PCR test as there is no reason for him to be HIV positive.

Thanks & Regards

Regarding your husband's HIV-positive status. If indeed he has had absolutely no HIV-risk exposure, he could not be HIV infected. Consequently his HIV diagnostic tests might have been falsely positive. However, if he subsequently had a CD4 count of 294, this would suggest he is indeed HIV infected and most likely has been so for quite some period of time (most likely much longer than two to three years!). He should be seen by an HIV physician specialist. That physician will reconfirm the diagnosis if needed. It would be extremely unlikely that there was both false-positive diagnostic tests and technical/clerical errors in performing and/or reporting his CD4 count.

Regarding your HIV-negative status. It is indeed possible you remained HIV negative despite having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive partner. Remember, not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). You can find many testimonials of situations like yours in the archives.

As for your husband's HIV treatment, Vonavir (generic Atripla) can cause disrupted sleep (vivid dreams), fatigue and dizziness. Often these side effects subside over a period of six to eight weeks. If they are persisting beyond that period of time, your husband should talk to his HIV specialist.

Ayurvedic medicine has never been shown to "boost immunity." See below.

Finally, if your husband's follow-up evaluation with an HIV specialist confirms his HIV status, I would suggest you have a heart-to-heart talk with him. Chances are he contracted the virus long before your marriage two and a half years ago.

Good luck to you both.

ayurveda and alternate therepies (AYURVEDA, 2010) Jan 3, 2010

can you please brief me that how safe is to take coconut oil, green tea and aloe vera is to increase the CD4 count.many ayurveda doctors also recommends to take herbal preprations over ART. i believe that herbal preprations work in synergistic way. are they safe to use . i read that you were totally against trying ambush or i-pills. why allopaths are so against ayurvedic system of medicine?

Coconut oil, green tea and aloe vera will not increase CD4 count! (They won't lower it either!)

Ayurveda doctors (or other alternative practitioners) who recommend herbal preparations over antiretroviral therapy are suffering from craino-rectal inversion. That means they have their heads up their butts (as does anyone who would follow such ludicrous advice in this day and age)!

Even if you "believe" herbal preparations work, that doesn't change reality and scientific fact proving that they do not! As for what I recommend and do not recommend, it's based totally on sound science. Most alternative and complimentary medications are completely unregulated by the FDA. Some have dangerous interactions with antiretroviral medications; others can be harmful on their own; and most do nothing at all. See below for additional information.

A Few Thoughts on Ayurvedic Mumbo-Jumbo, 15/12/2004

It's based on a 5,000-year-old system of mind/body medicine that has been revived today as Maharishi Ayurveda. Its a total plan for . . . using the power of quantum healing to transcend disease and agingfor achieving Perfect Health. Proponents state that ayurvedic medicine originated in ancient time, but much of it was lost until reconstituted in the early 1980s by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Its origin is traced to four Sanskrit books called the Vedas-the oldest and most important scriptures of India, shaped sometime before 200 B.C.E. These books attributed most disease and bad luck to demons, devils, and the influence of stars and planets. Ayurveda's basic theory states that the body's functions are regulated by three "irreducible physiological principles" called doshas, whose Sanskrit names are vata, pitta, and kapha. Like astrologic "signs," these terms are used to designate body types as well as the traits that typify them.

Chopra's autobiography (Return of the Rishi) describes what impelled him toward ayurveda. One "pivotal" experience involved "pulse diagnosis" by Brihaspati Dev Triguna, "the preeminent living Ayurvedic physician," who, in 1981, told Chopra that his life was "moving too fast" and he was in danger of developing heart disease. Triguna advised Chopra to sit silently each morning, spend more time with his wife and children, chew his food slowly, make sure his bowels move at the same time every day, and eat skinned almonds slowly in the morning.

In 1984, Chopra met the Maharishi, who encouraged him to learn about Ayurveda. Chopra did so and in 1985 became director of the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center for Stress Management in Lancaster, Massachusetts. He also founded and became president of the American Association for Ayurvedic Medicine and Maharishi Ayur-Veda Products International (MAPI). An FDA report states that Chopra remained MAPI's sole stockholder until September 1987, when the stock was transferred to the tax-exempt Maharishi Ayurveda Foundation. MAPI is now called Maharishi Ayur-Ved Products International.

Many other herbal preparations have been marketed through ayurvedic physicians who could purchase them at a 30% discount for resale to their patients. A catalog from the late 1980s refers to these products as "food supplements" but states which ones are useful ("as a dietary complement") for cancer, epilepsy, poliomyelitis, schizophrenia, tuberculosis, and more than 80 other ailments. Another publication, marked "confidential," lists "indications according to disease entities" for about seventy products identified by number. Practitioners could also select remedies with "Maharishi Ayurveda Treatment and Prevention Programs," a computer program copyrighted in 1987 by Maharishi Ayurveda Corporation of America, that generates reports for both the doctor and the patient. The data entered included disease codes and body types. Federal law requires that products marketed with therapeutic claims be generally recognized by experts as effective for their intended use. I do not believe that these products met federal approval criteria, which would mean that such marketing was illegal. The documents to which I refer were collected between 1987 and 1991. I don't know whether these distribution systems still exist or when they were set up.

Ancient Ayurvedic texts describe each herb as a packet of vibrations that specifically match a vibration in the quantum mechanical body. All bodily organs, for example, the liver, the stomach and the heart are built up from a specific sequence of vibrations at the quantum level. In the case of a malfunction, some disruption of the proper sequence in these vibrations is at fault. According to Ayurveda, a herb exists with this exact same sequence, and when applied, it can help restore the organ's functioning.

The formulas included OptiEnergy ("for energizing and balancing the physiology"), OptiMind (to aid mental activity), OptiMan, and OptiWoman. Several products named after organs or diseases were identified as "supplements . . . to be taken only when recommended by a health professional trained in Ayurveda." These included OptiHep, OptiNeph, OptiCardio and OptiRheum. In 1995, an "American Journal" producer had samples of nine products tested by two laboratories, which reported that all of them contained insect fragments.

(Quackwatch....From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quackwatch Inc. is an American non-profit organization founded by Stephen Barrett that states its mission is to "combat health-related frauds, myths, fads, fallacies, and misconduct" with a primary focus on providing "quackery-related information that is difficult or impossible to get elsewhere."[1][2] Since 1996 it has operated a website, quackwatch.org, that advises the public on unproven or ineffective alternative medicine remedies.[3] The site contains articles and other information criticizing many forms of alternative medicine.[4][5][6] Quackwatch has received several awards and has been recognized in the media.[7] The success of Quackwatch has generated the creation of other related sites.[8] Numerous sources cite quackwatch.org as a practical source for online consumer information.)

Saudi Arabia WOO-HOOing Nov 17, 2003

Hello Doc Bob

Thanks a lot. After 3 months of anxious waiting ( cause :nipple sucking, fingering and hand job incident in NY ) my friend in saudi arabia got tested yesterday ( 12 weeks-88days) HIV 1 and 2 negative. Thanks to the Body and you Doctor Bob.

Have you heard of Ayurveda the traditional natural way of healing from India ?. I have been doing some research on the subject recently. There is a therapy using Yoga, herbal medicine and meditation which is almost proven that the same can fetch the benefits of modern hiv treatments with out any side effects ...check it out

all the best and thank you again

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Great news! And, I might add, just as we predicted! You're welcome. Congratulate your friend from all of us!

Ayurveda has been around a long time. Unfortunately, it has absolutely no anti-viral activity or effect on HIV disease progression. However, it does make a person feel better, and that's certainly worth something. Yoga and meditation are both wonderful adjunctive therapies shown to improve an overall sense of well being. But again, they do not have specific anti-HIV activity.

And, in case he's reading this, I also really like my current massage guy too.

Confirmation to woo-hoo. $100 on the way.
HELP - very scared (concerning oral sex risk) (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2010) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2010)