Unprotected Fellatio....does circumcision matter?

Dr. Franscino,

Let me first say that I'm a big fan of your style! Especially your views regarding the GOP! Lol..

Anyway, my story is similar to many others; I received unprotected fellatio from a sex worker- it was actually my first sexual encounter and definitely the last w/ a sex worker- Now I've spend too much time on this website and others to know that this is very low risk especially for the receiver. A friend of mine told me that he read on this website that the odds of HIV transmission for the receiver are 0.5 in 20,000; how accurate are these numbers? Does circumcision matter in this case? Does it further reduce the risk of STI transmission if I'm circumcised? Basically what I'm asking is: shall I continue my life normally or do I "have to" get tested in 3 months mark?

Again, thank you very much for this awesome website....great job:)

Regards, Blue-State Supporter

Hello Blue-State Supporter,

Thanks for your kind comments. I really should't pick on the GOP so much. It's just that since Sarah Palin ("I can see Russia from my house"), Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh have become the leading figures of the party, the GOP has just become such an easy target for ridicule for anyone with a modicum of common sense. (I can hear more hate mail coming my way, so I better stop here!)

Your research has yielded the correct impression: The HIV-acquisition risk from insertive oral sex is extremely low. This is true whether one is cut or uncut. The statistics pertaining to HIV-acquisition risk primarily give an idea of relative risk of acquiring HIV from various types of sexual activity. There are many variables to consider in any one specific sexual coupling that could affect whether HIV is transmitted. These include both viral (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and host (immune integrity, concurrent infections, local trauma, etc.) factors.

Because you are so worried, I would suggest you get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. This is primarily for peace of mind. Seeing an HIV-negative test result sometimes is the most efficient and effective way to put unwarranted HIV fears permanently to rest.

Good luck. Be well.

What do I do now???? I am unable to function
Confirmation to woo-hoo. $100 on the way.