Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What do I do now???? I am unable to function
Jun 14, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

Thanks a million for your life saving advices, you are of big help to every one in this forumI wrote you few days ago and your response gave me a lot of strength to keep on going with my life for few days, however, I am still terrified and I need your help answering additional questions

As mentioned before I had protected sex with a girl; at the end of the intercourse I saw that the reservoir of the condom had my sperm and at a brief glance (from the top of my penis) the condom seemed to be ok.

Now, the problem I have is that the day of the intercourse I didnt fill the condom with water and I didnt look at the bottom part of my penis to see if the condom was in fact intact.Of course, I am terrified thinking that it could have been broken or that it could have small holes somewhere in the condom and I didnt notice it

As you suggested, I asked the girl to get a test for HIV 1 & 2 and Hep C; she did and came back with a non reactive and a negative result respectively (from LabCorp).

So my questions are as follow:

1.- What would be the chances of getting HIV or hepatitis C from this incident, taking in consideration that she could be seroconverting, the lab results could be wrong, and there is always the possibility that the condom could have some holes I didnt see (although it had my sperm on it)?

2.- Before the HIV and Hep C test, this girl was drinking vodka and wine, having a red bull, taking anti conceptive pills, sore throat medicine, vitamins and ibuprofen; Would that alter the results of the HIV and Hep C tests? In other words, would it be possible for the test to come back negative because she ingested all of those things few hours before the test? (when in reality she could have been HIV and Hep C positive)

3.- What would be the chance of getting HIV and Hep C if some of the vaginal fluids that were on my hand or outside of the condom touched the tip of the head of my penis while removing the condom? I saw the skin of my penis was wet when I removed the condom and I am not circumcised

4.- Combining all of that together, what would be the chances of me having either HIV or Hep C?

5. Do you think I should be worried? Am I just plain crazy??

Please help me Dr. Bob, I have lost 15 pounds in 8 days, I am still not able to sleep or do anything right now, as mentioned my job is extremely demanding and I am just not able to function. Thank you Dr. Bob, we love you and respect you, your opinion really matters to meand by the way I just donated to your foundationYou are the best!!!!

Hugs to you!

Henry

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Henry,

1. Essentially nonexistent.

2. Nope.

3. Essentially nonexistent.

4. Well, let's see. We have two "essentially nonexistents" plus one "nope," so that would equal "beyond essentially nonexistent" as the combined risk!

5. Plain crazy. Definitely plain crazy.

Thanks for the donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. Henry, your problem is anxiety, not HIV. I suggest you seek treatment for your anxiety. Counseling and anti-anxiety medications can be very helpful.

Be well Henry. Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared =(
Next
Unprotected Fellatio....does circumcision matter?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.