Scared =(

Hi Dr. Bob! I have asked you ?'s before and you have been amazing at getting back to me on everyone! Im not sure how you manage to do that, or why I am so lucky to get you to repond to me, but thank you! You have been a true blessing... I have been going through the last 8 months with the unknow status of HIV. Consitantly Pos ELISA's and either neg WB or indeterminate WB. I also had a DNA PCR test and it was 'undetectable'back in November 2009. Im going in today for the results of my last test done 2 wks ago. Im so nervous. I have not had any risky sexual encounters (meaning unprotected sex)since 8/21/09. The last Indeterminate WB was in 1/10 and almost all the markers had an 'x' under them, including p24. The 'x' apparently means 'non specific staining'. Im not sure what that means and I am scared to death to go in today =(...What kind of advice or reassurence do you think you can offer me in terms of what to expect? And, is there ANY way of finding out what is causing my non-HIV antibiodies to cross react, if that is really the case, to better ease my mind? I just need to know Im OK...I feel like I just cant move on in my life with a 'maybe' type dx.

Thank You for your time, Dr. Bob! You really are a great man!

Worried76

Hi Worried 76,

You've just gotten me in big, big trouble! By mentioning I've been amazing in getting back to you and answered every one of your questions, I'm now going to get all sorts of angry notes from other worried-well anxious wrecks who will be furious at me that I haven't answered their specific questions about their secret tryst with a cross-dressing transexual Mormon midget with cleft feet at the last combined NRA rally/Glenn Beck-Rush Limbaugh Tea Party crackpot convention. Yep, I can just about hear all the fast and furious keyboarding going on right now and my poor overstuffed inbox may soon spontaneously implode from the onslaught! Nonetheless, here's your answer. You are HIV negative. Repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISAs coupled with indeterminate and negative Western Blot tests plus an undetectable qualitative HIV DNA PCR are considered in total to be definitive evidence of being HIV negative.

Chasing down the specific cause of nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies can be difficult and costly and is completely unwarranted.

I have no doubt your tests will confirm your HIV-negative status. If you're having difficulty accepting that truly wonderful reality, get counseling (psychotherapy), not additional unwarranted costly laboratory tests.

Remember, HIV is not your problem. You do not have a "maybe diagnosis." You are HIV negative.

Be well. WOO-HOO.

immunoglobulins again (Please help)
What do I do now???? I am unable to function