Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I be on PEP?
Jun 14, 2010

Hi Dr Bob.

Yesterday I went to get a 'massage' from another gay male who I later found out was positive with an undetectable load for the last 5 years. He rubbed me up and down then started fingering me and jumped on top of me for a few minutes and was rubbing his penis against my anus, but did not go in. I didn't notice much precum and fortunately he did put plenty of oil in my anus before his penis got back there. Add to all this my hemmorhoid= worried me. I didn't have a flare up of the hemmorhoids and haven't for about a week. When I figured out that he is positive, I immediately went to the emergency room to seek PEP and it was given to me. The main reason I went was to seek advice, but I feel like the administering Dr. didn't really know what to say and he didn't really ask many questions. They gave me a 3 day pack and told me to go see my general care dr for the full course of meds. What is your opinion on this? Do you think I should be taking the meds? What do you think my risk level was? I'm really sad bc it was just supposed to be a sexy massage to get out some frustration since my amazing boyfriend has been traveling for the last month. Please help doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If you didn't find out that your rub-a-dub-dub guy was positively charged, would you be freaking out now? Probably not. Interesting, isn't it? As long as you followed the safer sex guidelines, your HIV-acquisition risk remains exceedingly low.

An erotic massage with or without a bit of well-oiled backdoor frottage (without penetration) and a happy ending is not considered an HIV risk and certainly would not warrant a course of PEP. I would advise you stop PEP and stop worrying, OK?

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
At 6 weeks am considering traveling to England for Duo Test
Next
Condom Broke: HIV+ bottom, HIV- Top... Chance of infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.