Should I be on PEP?

Hi Dr Bob.

Yesterday I went to get a 'massage' from another gay male who I later found out was positive with an undetectable load for the last 5 years. He rubbed me up and down then started fingering me and jumped on top of me for a few minutes and was rubbing his penis against my anus, but did not go in. I didn't notice much precum and fortunately he did put plenty of oil in my anus before his penis got back there. Add to all this my hemmorhoid= worried me. I didn't have a flare up of the hemmorhoids and haven't for about a week. When I figured out that he is positive, I immediately went to the emergency room to seek PEP and it was given to me. The main reason I went was to seek advice, but I feel like the administering Dr. didn't really know what to say and he didn't really ask many questions. They gave me a 3 day pack and told me to go see my general care dr for the full course of meds. What is your opinion on this? Do you think I should be taking the meds? What do you think my risk level was? I'm really sad bc it was just supposed to be a sexy massage to get out some frustration since my amazing boyfriend has been traveling for the last month. Please help doc.

If you didn't find out that your rub-a-dub-dub guy was positively charged, would you be freaking out now? Probably not. Interesting, isn't it? As long as you followed the safer sex guidelines, your HIV-acquisition risk remains exceedingly low.

An erotic massage with or without a bit of well-oiled backdoor frottage (without penetration) and a happy ending is not considered an HIV risk and certainly would not warrant a course of PEP. I would advise you stop PEP and stop worrying, OK?

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

At 6 weeks am considering traveling to England for Duo Test
Condom Broke: HIV+ bottom, HIV- Top... Chance of infection?