We (my daughter and I) just donated and it felt Wonderful!!

Dear Dr. Bob,

We (my daughter and I) just made a donation to your Foundation and it feels good. I hope $50.00 can touch somebody's life in a good way.

Maybe you can help me understand something. My daughter went to a restaurant and she ordered R&R wings. They are Buffalo wings with Barbeque Sauce drizzled with Honey. The cook is a HIV + person. If any of the fluids linked to HIV goes from him and gets onto her wings and I ate them. What are her chances of catching HIV? Like what if he might have cut himself in the back maybe while preparing them. Or if he has any fine cuts, scratches, nicks, pulled back skin, or scrapes, or anything on his hands. And he touches our food and she ate them AS SOON as they came out of the kitchen. I hope you can please help us with this question. I don't know if she or I had any small microscopic cuts or abrasions in our mouths? Again, what are the chances of catching HIV from this?

2.) In order to be safe when getting food from a restaurant, should a person wait any amount of time before eating the food - to be sure that no HIV virus is on it and can infect another person?

I hope you don't find us asking a foolish question. This really concerns us and we are just trying to get the right information from the right Man! My daughter is starting to get panicky of this, and now she has me wondering??

Thank You, and Thanks for allowing people to be a part or a well worthy cause, Amber

Hello Amber,

1. The risk of contracting HIV from eating buffalo wings prepared by an HIV-positive chef is completely nonexistent, even if the chef had "fine cuts, scratches, nicks, pulled back skin, or scrapes on his hands" and even if you or your daughter had "small microscopic cuts or abrasions in your mouth!" I have answered so many questions exactly like yours over the years in this forum that the question now qualified as a QTND (question that never dies). As with all QTND, it has an ATNC (answer that never changes). That answer is always: no risk!

2. You do not have to wait any amount of time after being served food in a restaurant. Rest assured you can eat your gazpacho before it gets warm or your minestrone before it gets cold without fear of contracting HIV even if I personally chopped all the vegetables myself!

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. I can assure you that your one gift will touch many lives in desperate need. For instance, it only costs 85 cents to provide antiretroviral drugs to an HIV-positive pregnant woman in Africa to prevent the transmission of the virus to her unborn child! I'll let you "do the math" as far as how many potential lives $50 can save!

As far as donating time, energy or money to worthy causes, I agree it does feel great!

Be well.

3 types of elisa test are positive, do i need to go for WB?
Possible exposure or paranoid and need counseling end or rope