Indeterminate HIV result in pregnancy

Hello... I am currently pregnant (with my third pregnancy) and I am high risk. My primary dr had me do the western blot blood test and the result was indeterminate, so she had me repeat the test again and the result again was indeterminate, this was early in the pregnancy around 3 months. I am now 8 months and 3 weeks and again I was tested and again the result was indeterminate. The hospital has now called and wants me to go for additonal testing tomorrow required by the neonatologist. It makes you feel like you have someting wrong with you. My primary dr that had me do the two first tests told me that once you had two tests results that came back indeterminate it was considered negative and that when you have had multiple pregnancies it is common to see an indeterminate result. I am really worried and upset about it, can you give me any ease of mind on this subject???

First off, if your doctor is ordering Western Blot tests without first having a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA screening test, he is ordering the tests inappropriately! Western Blot tests should only be ordered as confirmatory tests, not as stand-alone diagnostic tests.

Indeterminate (and even false-positive) HIV antibody test results are not uncommon in women who are pregnant (or have been pregnant). Check out the chapter in the archives devoted to pregnancy. I'm sure you'll find the information both enlightening and reassuring. I agree with your primary care doctor: Your results to date would suggest you are HIV negative.

Indeterminate WB, Negative Oraquick
Thanks for your kindness and warmth