Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indeterminate HIV result in pregnancy
Jun 8, 2010

Hello... I am currently pregnant (with my third pregnancy) and I am high risk. My primary dr had me do the western blot blood test and the result was indeterminate, so she had me repeat the test again and the result again was indeterminate, this was early in the pregnancy around 3 months. I am now 8 months and 3 weeks and again I was tested and again the result was indeterminate. The hospital has now called and wants me to go for additonal testing tomorrow required by the neonatologist. It makes you feel like you have someting wrong with you. My primary dr that had me do the two first tests told me that once you had two tests results that came back indeterminate it was considered negative and that when you have had multiple pregnancies it is common to see an indeterminate result. I am really worried and upset about it, can you give me any ease of mind on this subject???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First off, if your doctor is ordering Western Blot tests without first having a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA screening test, he is ordering the tests inappropriately! Western Blot tests should only be ordered as confirmatory tests, not as stand-alone diagnostic tests.

Indeterminate (and even false-positive) HIV antibody test results are not uncommon in women who are pregnant (or have been pregnant). Check out the chapter in the archives devoted to pregnancy. I'm sure you'll find the information both enlightening and reassuring. I agree with your primary care doctor: Your results to date would suggest you are HIV negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Indeterminate WB, Negative Oraquick
Next
Thanks for your kindness and warmth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.