Indeterminate WB, Negative Oraquick

I'm a male in my early 30s. Last risky contact was April 2009 with a sex worker. Unprotected vaginal sex. Been with my current girlfriend for 9 months. Monogamous but we don't use protection. Had a routine exam where blood was collected on 5/19/10. Came back reactive Elisa 1.47. Indeterminate WB (positive p24, negative everything else). Today got blood drawn for PCR and will know the results next week. I went to the clinic as well for an Oraquick test and it came back negative. I'm in good health. Never had any seroconversion symptoms. Girlfriend will get tested soon.

What are the chances that I'm HIV+. Thank you so much doctor.

Your decision to have unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. You are continuing to have unprotected sex with your girlfriend and we do not know her HIV serostatus. Consequently it is difficult to tell you what your "chances" are as they are ongoing.

A reactive ELISA with an indeterminate WB showing only a p24 could indicate recent HIV infection with incomplete seroconversion. The p24 band is often the first to appear on WB testing. Subsequent testing a few weeks later could determine if seroconversion was in process, as the Western Blot would become conclusively positive. That you had a subsequent negative OraQuick rapid test is encouraging and could indicate that your ELISA was falsely positive. If your PCR is undetectable, you can also assume the positive ELISA and p24 band on the WB were false positives. Whatever the result I hope this serves as a wakeup call for you to stop putting yourself at risk for HIV (and other STDs)! Time to wise up and smell the AZT!

Be safe. Be well. Good luck with your test results.

86 my Last Request Please and Post this Quick Question with Corrections added followed by a Healthy Donation
Indeterminate HIV result in pregnancy