Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

86 my Last Request Please and Post this Quick Question with Corrections added followed by a Healthy Donation
Jun 8, 2010

Hello Again Dr. Bob,

We enjoy donating to your foundation. We (my wife and I) have a company and we proudly donate regularly. We have a company with over 14k Associates around the world so over time we make our donations and we make it a public announcement through e-mail that we support your Foundation. Hopefully, that will encourage others to look up the Great work you do and donate as well. Here is my question: Can a person catch HIV from money? I mean we all know money goes through a lot of peoples hands and can the virus live on the money? I will give you my example. My wife and I went to a restaurant at 7:00 PM to eat. When we got the bill, I paid the server and took my change back from the server. At 9:30 PM that same evening my wife was driving and I trimmed my thumb nail on the ride home so far back my thumb had bled. Not thinking, I went into the house put that same hand in my pocket and pulled the money out of my pants. I know the money was touching the area of my thumb that had just bled. So let's look at this. 1 1/2 hours went by before I touched the money again, but now this time with a cut up thumb nail that had just bled seconds ago. Two questions. If the server was HIV+ and gave me my change, and I handled the money in the time slotted above what are the chances of catching HIV like this? 2.) What if anybody who is HIV+ has handled the money anytime before I got it. What are the chances of catching HIV from this? Look at the time gap between when I received the money back from the server, and when I actually touched it again. What are the chances in both situations? I think that this will be a good question for the forum, as we who think of this can learn from the expert doctor on such a situation as this.

Thank You for such a Wonderful Foundation for all of us to donate to so we can also feel like we can be a part of something good to help so many people. You are man with true Greatness in your heart. Your Foundation will be a focus for our company to donate to, for as long as we will be around. And you can take this to the bank. This company is a Legacy that will last longer than I and my wife. We will be proud to be a part of your Foundation for the rest of our future.

Thank You Dr. Bob, Michael

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Michael,

"Can a person catch HIV from money?" Well, perhaps. If someone, for instance, uses money to pay for unprotected sex with an HIV-positive sex worker or uses money to pay for intravenous drugs and shares needles with an HIV-positive drug addict, then yes, "money" could be the catalyst for someone contracting the virus. However, as far as acquiring the virus from touching money that was previously handled or even bled upon by an HIVer, no, that is not possible! I've addressed many, many very similar questions in the past and these responses can be found in the archives. Have a look. This has become such a common question that it's almost qualified as a QTND (question that never dies). It also always has the same ATNC (answer that never changes): no risk! (This includes both your hypotheticals!)

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very warmly appreciated. If we all just did our part, we could stop HIV cold in its tracks. HIV remains 100% fatal, but it is also 100% preventable!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV in my food.
Next
Indeterminate WB, Negative Oraquick

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.