Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected Anal Receptive Sex
Jun 8, 2010

I am 22 year old gay man. About a year ago, I had unprotected anal (receptive) sex with a man I now have found out to be HIV+. I am not sure whether he was HIV+ when we had sex. Assuming he was, how at risk am I for being HIV+? He did not ejaculate inside of me, and the sex lasted for less than five minutes. In the past year I have not exhibited any symptoms of HIV. Needless to say I'm regretful and very scared, and intend to be tested soon. But in the meantime, what are the statistics?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The CDC's estimated per-act statistical risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 50 per 10,000 exposures. Please note these are only statistical estimates and there are many factors involved in HIV transmission, both viral (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and host (immune integrity, concurrent infections, local trauma, etc.).

I agree with your plan to get HIV tested without delay. Also, it is worth noting that your choice to have unprotected sex last year is the real concern. You're only freaking out now because you recently learned your top gun was positively charged. Even if you didn't find out about his HIV serostatus, your risk would still be the same! It's also worth noting that 20% of the over 1,000,000 HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected with the virus. We must assume all our bedmates could be HIV infected and take all the necessary precautions to prevent transmission of the virus. Had you used a latex condom last year and then subsequently learned your buddy was virally enhanced, you wouldn't be in your present predicament. I'm hopeful this entire anxiety-provoking experience will teach you never to put yourself at risk again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Post Exposure Prevention Male to Male to Female -- Concerned.
Next
Bloood in frozen lemon drink

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.