Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help me I'm soo worry
Jun 4, 2010

I'm a housewife I been married for 13 years, my husband has been my only sexual partner. On april I came positive in elisa test and inconclusive in WB.we repet the test in may and I got the same results.My doctor says I'm HIV positive, I don't know what todo do. My husband was test and his results were negative. what can I do?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

What should you do? That's easy. Immediately fire your doctor and find a more competent physician! You are most likely HIV negative! A reactive (positive) ELISA plus an indeterminate Western Blot in April followed by identical results a month later and essentially zero HIV risk would strongly suggest you are HIV negative and that your ELISA results are "false positives."

Since you have essentially zero HIV-exposure risk, there is no way you could contract the virus. Positive ELISAs plus indeterminate confirmatory Western Blots are considered "indeterminate HIV screening tests," not "positive!" False positive/indeterminate HIV-antibody tests can be caused by a number of underlying or past conditions, including pregnancy and the production of nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies. If you were in the process of seroconverting at the time of your indeterminate results in April, you would have tested definitively positive (positive ELISA and positive Western Blot) a month later.

If you or your new, more competent physician remain concerned about your test results, consider getting a qualitative HIV DNA PCR test, as it does not rely on anti-HIV antibodies but rather assays for a piece of the virus's genetic material.

I'm quite confident your worries are unwarranted and that appropriate follow-up testing will confirm your HIV-negative status.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You for Taking the Time to Reassure This Classic Fluffernutter
Next
College guy that just donated to the foundation. Lymphogranuloma Venereum (LGV, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.