Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I continue PEP?
Jun 4, 2010

Dear Doc, 2 weeks ago I had sex with a sexworker in India. We had protected vaginal sex. Although I also received unprotected oral sex in which i never ejaculated and we also kissed each other. I talked about this to my friend who is a doctor. He suggested me PEP. But its getting too difficult for me to continue PEP because of its side effects. Could you please let me know if i need PEP at all, as my risks of infection are less. Moreover i didnt had any sore gums or cuts in my mouth..nor did i notice any scratches or rashes in my private parts.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Protected sex is "protected," assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. The HIV-transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent. Insertive unprotected oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. PEP would not be recommended for this very low level of potential HIV risk. As you have discussed, taking PEP (HIV antiretrovirals) is no walk in the park. The side effects can be intense. I would advise you discontinue PEP and have an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark from the date of your wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
cucumber and bananas (SEX WITH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, 2010)
Next
Thank You for Taking the Time to Reassure This Classic Fluffernutter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.