Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gay Sex with Strangers
Jun 3, 2010

Hello Dr. Robert J. Frascino,

I went to a Canadian gay bar and drank too much alcohol. I ended up going home with a man I just met. The man had some tattoos and piercings. We gave each other oral sex without a condom. I also had protected (condom & lubricant) receptive anal (with ejaculation). The guy said the condom was used properly, even during the sex I asked him to make sure it was still on. Shortly after that night I began to have extreme depression and anxiety about being infected with HIV. The guy claimed he was tested around a month before and was negative but I don't know whether to believe him. I can barley sleep at night. Should I be this worried? Is protected receptive anal with a stranger while drunk a high risk situation? What is my estimated risk from this situation if he was positive? How long should I wait before I get tested? Which symptoms are the most common? I am obsessing about it too much, every minute of every day I'm thinking about being infected. Please HELP!

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Unprotected oral sex carries only a low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. The CDC estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive and insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 1 and 0.5 per 10,000 exposures respectively.

Protected sex is protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break).

Should you be "this worried?" No. Your actual risk is quite low.

Protected anal receptive sex carries the same risk whether your top gun is an inebriated stranger or a stone-cold-sober BFF (best friend forever).

HIV-antibody tests should be taken three months or longer after a potential exposure.

You can read much more about all these issues in the archives of this forum. Have a look!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I have HIV now please help!!!
Next
NEED HELP EMERGENCY

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.