HIV+ but test negative for years?

Hello My partner and I have been together for over 21 years. I test positive January 2009. I have no clue how I got positive. My partner is negative and has been even with heart surgery and test for HIV 3 years ago. He is still negative on a test to this day. But, every past lover he has had, and there are many, including me now has tested positive or died of AIDS throughout the years. Can a person test negative over and over again and be a carrier and pass it on? I am not looking to blame, I just dont understand how else I could test positive. He is a top, I am a bottom. Any help with this is appreciated since it has been a question on my mind since last year when I test positive. Thank you. Dave

Hello Dave,

"Can a person test HIV negative over and over again and be a carrier and pass it on?" No. You've been with your partner for over 21 years. If he continues to test HIV negative (three years ago at the time of his surgery and again very recently), then you could not have contracted HIV from him. He can't pass on something he doesn't have. There are only two potential options: (1) your positive tests was a false positive and (2) you contracted the virus elsewhere. Considering you've been presumably HIV infected since last year, it's unlikely your test was a false positive, as I would assume you've had a follow-up evaluation and treatment with an HIV specialist physician. Regarding the second option, I'd suggest you have a honest discussion with your HIV specialist physician. He should be able to help you identify the source of your infection.

Be well.

PEP / Combivir Side Effects
oral sex transmission (DOCUMENTED ORAL SEX TRANSMISSION, 2010)