Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VERY VERY WORRIED!! Priest with large open cut gave communion.
May 28, 2010

Hello Dr. Bob,

Thank you for your time and for providing all the valuable information to some very worried an anxious people, including myself. I have read the forum on food and not getting infected, but most has to do with cooking food or blood in fluid, not blood on food eaten within seconds that was not heated.

Here is the situation:

I went to church and the priest had a large open cut on his forehead, that was not dry, so the blood was visible, no band-aid, with some ointment over it. I noticed this only as I was taking communion and didn't react fast enough to not eat it. I am concerned because I ate the communion which may have had blood on it and I have a canker sore in my mouth on the side of my cheek. Also, I have gastritis, so inflammation in the esophagus and stomach from acid reflux. Is there a risk of transmition this way, if in fact the priest was infected and got his blood on the communion and I ate it right after he handed it to me? I saw him scrating his forhead afterward, so he may have done that before he gave out the communion as well. Do you think this requires testing for HIV? Am I worrying needlessly?

Please help Dr. Bob!!

Worried Well #?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Well #?

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. I'm curious; what makes you suspicious that the priest was HIV infected? I mean, aside from all the reports of priests' sexual misconduct and coverup. Oh, come to think of it, never mind!

Your fears are completely unwarranted. If HIV were the easy to contract, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted, OK?

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
In Tears 4th time pls answer i am afraid that i affected my baby
Next
PEP / Combivir Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.