VERY VERY WORRIED!! Priest with large open cut gave communion.

Hello Dr. Bob,

Thank you for your time and for providing all the valuable information to some very worried an anxious people, including myself. I have read the forum on food and not getting infected, but most has to do with cooking food or blood in fluid, not blood on food eaten within seconds that was not heated.

Here is the situation:

I went to church and the priest had a large open cut on his forehead, that was not dry, so the blood was visible, no band-aid, with some ointment over it. I noticed this only as I was taking communion and didn't react fast enough to not eat it. I am concerned because I ate the communion which may have had blood on it and I have a canker sore in my mouth on the side of my cheek. Also, I have gastritis, so inflammation in the esophagus and stomach from acid reflux. Is there a risk of transmition this way, if in fact the priest was infected and got his blood on the communion and I ate it right after he handed it to me? I saw him scrating his forhead afterward, so he may have done that before he gave out the communion as well. Do you think this requires testing for HIV? Am I worrying needlessly?

Please help Dr. Bob!!

Worried Well #?

Hello Worried Well #?

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. I'm curious; what makes you suspicious that the priest was HIV infected? I mean, aside from all the reports of priests' sexual misconduct and coverup. Oh, come to think of it, never mind!

Your fears are completely unwarranted. If HIV were the easy to contract, it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted, OK?

Be well.

In Tears 4th time pls answer i am afraid that i affected my baby
PEP / Combivir Side Effects