PEP...Dr. Said No.

Hi Dr.

I will get right to the point. Had incertive anal with a condom (never, ever had unprotected in my life). And as I was entering the condom popped and I pulled out right away. I was half way in for maybe a second if that. I freaked out and stopped. I called my dr and he said PEP is not appropriate for this brief exposure...he said my risk was remote. I asked the guy he said he was neg on a test about 8 months ago. I freaked out on this guy so bad he told me not to contact him. Should I have gotten PEP for this? I am freaking out.

Freak out Man

Hi Freak-out Man,

I would agree that PEP would not be recommended (although sometimes offered) for this level of HIV-transmission risk. HIV-antibody testing at the three-month mark would be advisable. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this incident. I'd recommend you review "proper condom technique" in the archives of this forum, as latex condoms only very rarely fail (break) when used properly. Remember, "lubrication is your friend."

Help Dr. Francisco!! Scared
SHOULD I BE TESTED??