Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I will ask again... Past cancer treatments delay seroconversion?!
May 28, 2010

I had sex with a man that was HIV+.

Unprotected anal, vaginal and everything in between.

Last encounter was winter 2003.

I underwent chemo, stem-cell transplant and radiation therepy for non-hodgkins lymphoma. Treatment was completed spring of 2002. My immune system took a while to fully recover. As far as I know, my counts have been fine at my yearly follow-ups, but my records are not in my hand and I rarely ask about specifics regarding what the counts are.

I did run across an article that stated that cd4 counts can take up to 6 years in stem-cell trasplant patients to stabilize. *If* my cd4 counts were low, would the delay seroconversion?

I tested negative Oct. 2005 and again in April 2007. They were both blood tests.

Would my past treatments delay seroconversion? Yes, another question that never dies. I had another blood test drawn 12 days ago (business days). I will let you know what the results are when I get them (if they ever arrive back *frustrated*). You can then add my story to the fluffernutter archives. Until then, I am still paranoid.

Thanks, Concerned Momma

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Paranoid Concerned Momma,

Your choice to have "unprotected anal, vaginal and everything in between" did put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Your repeatedly negative tests out to four years (April) are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. Your chemotherapy, stem-cell transplant and radiation therapy completed in the spring of 2002 would not affect HIV-antibody test results years later. Even your hypothetical situation involving depressed CD4 counts would not delay seroconversion. There was no indication for obtaining another HIV test 12 days ago. The result will undoubtedly be negative. Stop testing and stop worrying about a disease you could not possibly have. Until you do, at your request I'm adding you to Dr. Bob's official fluffernutter list.

Yell WOO-HOO and put this behind you, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am beyong believing I am HIV poz! (ANOTHER I'M POSITIVE I'M POSITVE, FLUFFERNUTTER MAXIMUS! 2010 ),
Next
Bucket list backlash . . .?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.