Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Slightly embarrassed! Maybe a bit crazy too..
May 26, 2010

Hi Doc, How are you? Hope all is well! I wanted to thank you for answering my question r last week egarding the validity of the older test I took in 2000. Yep it was negative after several months. I do still have one nagging question, that if answered may put me back in the x-worried well category for good! (but I do promise to stay in contact even if it's just to say hello or to make a donation) Regarding donations can I simply visit your foundation's website and pay via paypal? I guess I can just check after sending this e-mail...lol Anyways, onto my silly question. Now that I should know and believe my negative status from elisa taken in 2000 is conclusive, I want to know if you can tell me what generation test it most likely would have been and if it even matters...lol I'm thinking that no matter what test it was it still would have been state of the art for that time and would make no difference since as i understand the real difference between the generations is primarily shortening the window period. My test was taken in late 2000 in Ohio roughly seven months after exposure and it was negative. Sorry for this silly question, I just can't seem to find the dates regarding how the different elisa generations evolved. I guess to shorten my question, when did third generation testing for hiv begin to be widespread in the united states? In the USA would local clinics still be using second gen tests? and would it really matter anyways, for a 7 month elisa? I guess maybe I'm just a bit crazy...lol No, actually when I start worrying it seems like i want to learn all that i can. Thank you for your answer. I will make a donation to your foundation shortly and as often as this crappy economy will allow me to do so. I do plan on making regular donations as I feel very passionate about this cause:)

Thanks again. Michael

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Michael,

I have no way of knowing exactly what generation HIV assay you took in 2000! I would guess second generation and no, it doesn't matter at all. Negative at seven months is negative no matter what generation test you used!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Yes, the foundation has a PayPal link for donations.

Be well Michael and relax! All is well, including you.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Need final words please
Next
Please Doctor, help me I'm crazy.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.