Yet another confusing thing about this virus

Hi, Dr.!

This question is quick, I promise! Definately not like some of the novels I've read on here..

How can the virus live in a needle at all? Even if there is blood in the syringe or bore. The environment a needle would provide isn't the same as that of a human body.

I can see direct immediate contact with a needle infecting soemone, of course. But one that's been laying in a park or on a street..I just can't see there being a risk, really. It's been subjected to the elements and such.

Thank you! Keep up the great work!

HIV can survive for days (depending on viral load, viral strain, ambient temperature, etc.) in the small amount of blood that remains in a needle after use on an HIV-positive person. This is because the tainted blood is trapped in the airtight space of the hollow bore of the needle.

You are so Truly Special to All - You are Family Dr. Bob !!
Not a question this time, it's about the link to your foundation