PEP Warranted?

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have a quick question about PEP. I went to pick up some condoms and lube at a sex shop and made a HUGE mistake by going into the private rooms that aren't really private in the back. I gave a guy a BJ and he came in my mouth after I'd asked him not to. The second I realized he was ejaculating I pulled away and spit what was in my mouth, and he finished the rest on the floor. I'm very worried now, it was a stupid mistake to go in there in the first place. I do have a small canker sore in the back of my mouth and I'd imagine that it wasn't "passed-over" as they say, by his semen. In summary, he is a man of unknown status who ejaculated into my mouth and it was quickly spit onto the floor. Should I go seek PEP at the local hospital? Is that where you go for it? I'm nervous and scared but at the same time know that you are inundated with worried-wells (and I hope I am one of them). Thanks for everything that you do with this site, I will certainly be making a donation.

ScaredStupid

Hello Scared Stupid,

Oral sex, even with a small canker sore, with someone of unknown HIV status is considered to carry only a very small risk for HIV acquisition. PEP would generally not be recommended or encouraged for this degree of risk. For future reference, PEP should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an HIV exposure. It can be obtained at emergency rooms, urgent care centers and private physicians' offices. For your walk on the wild side, HIV testing at the three-month mark is generally all that would be recommended.

On the edge
Is aids a experiement gone wrong ? (STEAMING HOT MONKEY FUSION SEX)