Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reliability of Tests?
May 23, 2010

I have endured a risky moment of unprotected oral sex, me receiving- I didn't even ejaculate I pulled out and is possible that the man was positive, not sure- lost contact. He stated before that he hadn't had intercourse yet (he was turning 18) and I was a year younger than him. Well its been three years since that incident and I'm a little scared. I know it may lie dormant in your system for a while, but I don't remember being sick and ever having rashes.. ? Also, If i wanted to calm my nerves down, which test should I take in order to get the most accurate assessment, because I've heard people having false positives. I cannot even imagine what I would do if I had that kind of result, makes me frightened. I went through so much anxiety in the past month trying to tell myself that this isn't worth worrying about, but it keeps eating away at me. Please, help me out and educate me on what test is right and if I should even be worried about this "potential risk". thank you, you're a lovely man!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

An HIV-antibody test (ELISA) remains the gold standard. It has a built-in (reflex) confirmatory component (reflex Western Blot), which helps to significantly decrease the risk of a false-positive result.

Good luck. I'm confident you'll test HIV negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A friendly reminder full of love and appreciation...
Next
Unprotected sex and PEP plan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.