"Get Tested"

Doctor, I am seriously thinking about becoming a priest. It has it's rewards and is a busy life, afterall. Everyone including you are always telling people to get tested. That getting tested is the only way to know if you have the virus. Then I read on here and elsewhere that it is possible for clerical error. Lab technicians can misread the results and you will have a false negative. There is possible lab and clerical errors. Then the fear of all these strains and subtypes, the tests are designed for only the main ones. With all this is "one" test really enough? And to top it off, a woman at the AAC of MA told me that condoms do not protect against HIV. How does anyone have sex these days is beyond me. At least if I beome a priest my parents will be so proud of me.

Sorry for the rant.

Hello Future Clergyman,

HIV-antibody testing is extremely accurate, having both extremely high test sensitivity and specificity. Clerical or technical errors are very rare and would be very quickly discovered with follow-up or confirmatory testing. Concern about subtypes is way, way, way blown out of proportion.

The woman at AAC apparently was suffering from a severe case of craniorectal inversion (had her head up her butt). Take a read through the archives where we have chapter devoted to HIV sexual prevention. It will give you the real scoop on condom efficacy.

As for becoming a priest, what makes you think that will protect you from STDs? Haven't you been following the worldwide priest sexual abuse scandals? That abstinence thing apparently didn't work out so well.

supposedly low risk exposure but frightening symptoms
Encounter with Sex Worker followed by PEP