need some comfort.

I've read through a lot of your posts and they have been very informative. I apologize for the redundancy but I wanted to know if there were any documented cases of HIV exposure for someone who has not been sexually active nor does any drug-related activities.

I have a strong case of OCD/GAD and basically built this HIV-phobia ever since I had a possible exposure of getting blood in my mouth. I did a rapid blood test after 2.5 weeks (I know, doesn't mean anything) - was negative.

Now, the thought of contracting hiv through the testing itself has wrapped around my head (i know - very irrational).

Now, it's been 8 weeks and I'm thinking about doing another test. I figured I should write to you and get some words of wisdom/comfort.

Thank you for your time.

-DiagnosedwithOCD

The HIV-acquisition risk from getting blood in your mouth is extremely small at best. A single HIV test at the three-month mark is all that's warranted. The odds remain astronomically on your side that you did not contract HIV from the episode you describe.

The risk of acquiring HIV from getting HIV tested is nonexistent. (See below.)

I would advise you seek treatment for your OCD/GAD/HIV-phobia. Counseling (psychotherapy) and anti-anxiety medications can be very helpful.

RE-USED NEEDLE??? (VICIOUS CYCLE OF HIV TESTING, 2010) May 10, 2010

Dr. Bob,

I have to say I feel SO unbelievably stupid asking this... but it's really, really been bothering me!! I got 2 HIV antibody tests done at 6 months post exposure, within about 2 weeks of each other. They both came back negative!

But now- I am so unbelievably terrified that perhaps the nurses used a dirty needle to draw my blood into the vial thing! How easy is it to re-use a needle on another patient?! Dr. Bob I sound irrational even to myself, yet I cannot assuage my fears no matter what I do!! I am so terrified... I keep wanting to go back to get re-tested to make sure they didn't infect me by using a dirty needle, but then I get scared that THAT person will use a dirty needle!

HELP!!!

Your fears are irrational and that's why you "feel so unbelievably stupid asking this . . . ." These types of fears are more common than you might anticipate. (See below.) My advice to you is exactly the same as my advice to others with identical irrational, totally unwarranted worries. (See below.)

HELP, DR. BOB!!!!!! (VICIOUS CYCLE OF HIV TESTING, 2010) May 8, 2010

Hi. I don't really know where to start.. this is kind of weird and sounds absolutely stupid. Basically, I had unprotected sex with a few different people and then I got so freaked out and scared that I had contracted HIV... 2 negative tests later, I still don't believe that I don't have it. I think either the lab messed up, my blood sample got mixed up, I still just haven't shown antibodies yet for whatever reason (even though the test was taken outside of the window period), I think the person taking the test read the results incorrectly, and then (the latest fear) is that when they draw my blood up for testing, they are using a dirty, infected needle. I'm stuck in this horrible cycle of fear... once I finally manage to alleviate one fear and tell myself I'm just being irrational... then I instantly move on to another one. It's gotten so bad- I just can't seem to break out of this! I want to know I am ok, but I am too scared and worried and guilt-ridden to accept negative results. I just want my life back. Can I really accept these results??? The tests were about 6 months after the last exposure. What if the lab messed them up?? Should I be retested?? Dr. Bob, please help me try to get past this!

Please Help me get my Sanity back - I came up with $50 to doante.
Very Worried about vaseline and a condom!!!