Please Help me get my Sanity back - I came up with $50 to doante.

Dr. Bob,

I am sorry to bother you with this question. This mught be a real stupid question to you but it is not to me. Maybe I'm going a little overboard with this or boarder line OCD but I really do need your help. You are the expert and the Doctor. Please Help me. I will donate $50.00 because I would like to help your foundation.

Last night my family and I went to a restaurant. After we ate and I paid the bill with my credit card. I was fine. When I went to the car I look at my card I saw a stain on the card. My question is simply if our food server was a person that was HIV+ and I handled the card after paying him. The stain could be anything from the servers hand. Let's just say that it was BLOOD that I saw . I have pulled back skin on my finger that stings, that handled the card, what are the chances of me getting HIV this way. I do know HIV is very small virus and I am totally really worried over this. Could you please take your time and think of any situation that this would be something that I would have to worry about having HIV after handling the credit card. After I got home I put some sanitizer on the card and rubbed and yes the stain did come off so I know it was from the server. Worst Case Senario - Please Help

Thank You for giving me my sanity back - whatever that is, SD

P.S. Do you like to surf yourself?

The HIV-acquisition risk from the scenario you describe is nonexistent. HIV is a very fragile virus that does not live very long at all outside the body. Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted.

As for surfing, yes, I do like it. I learned how in Australia where the ocean waters are much warmer than here in California.

Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Stop worrying. Be well. Stay well.

The Facts
need some comfort.