Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Test 4th generation after 90 days of risk
May 19, 2010

Dear Doctor Bob. I send you congratulations from Brazil, because this site is very clear and objective.

Something missing in our country, even though we have a great service for testing and counseling, free condoms and drug distribution.

First I apologize for my writing probably wrong because I only speak the Portuguese language. My question is simple and straightforward. On January 29, 2010, had a sexual contact and risk, oral sex with a prostitute, a short time (I have a tooth open). I made two tests of antibodies 40 days and 60 days, rapid tests ELISA (link government offered the So Paulo state), both negative. With exactly 90 days of exposure did in a particular laboratory regulated by the Brazilian Ministry of Health, a 4th generation combo test (antibodies combo p24 antigen) were negative. With this result my case this proved negative, or do I have another test of antibody alone? The 4th generation test is final 90 days after the sexual risk.

I ask the understanding of any possible error in grammar, I hope the doctor has understood me and answered my question quickly. I want to end this story and then my life more carefully.

Thank you. God bless you.

Juliano Brazil

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Juliano,

Negative HIV-antibody tests out to 90 days following oral sex are considered conclusive and definitive.

WOO-HOO or, in Portuguese, "OBA!"

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV AND PREGNANCY
Next
Villous Atrophy Question (ELITE CONTROLLERS, 2010) (ELITE SUPPRESSORS, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.