unprotected sex.

Dr Rob my name is onyema from nigeria.i just have a question to ask because i was so drunk and didnt know when i had a sex with a sex worker without a condom a week ago,and after 3 days,i noticed that i contracted gonorrhear from her and i got treatment already for it,and i am very very scared and feel like dieing befor my blood test will be out in 5 days from now.i just want to know my chance of not contracting hiv incase if she has it. Pls,do tell me how the whole thing of gonorrhea and hiv works and i will donate as much as i can for you foundation.

Thanx and hear from you soon.

Hello Onyema from Nigeria,

Unprotected sex does indeed place you at risk for acquiring STDs, including HIV. Some STDs, including gonorrhea, are much more easily contracted than HIV. Having gonorrhea can recruit white blood cells into the affected area (throat, penis, vagina, anus), which in turn can increase the risk of HIV transmission. However, this certainly doesn't guarantee HIV transmission. Even if you had unsafe sex with a partner co-infected with both HIV and gonorrhea, it is much more likely you would contract gonorrhea rather then HIV or both STDs. You will need an HIV test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered conclusive.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

"The Age Of AIDS"
HIV transmission from water splash in the eye/s in public restroom