Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Concerned about infecting via car accident
May 19, 2010

Hi, I'm poz and am worried about infecting my sister and her children if I'm in a car accident with them. They don't know I'm poz and I don't want to tell my sister as it will add to her worries. But, I'm scared to visit and travel in her car just in case of an accident. I have no car myself and when I visit (interstate) I always end up being driven around by the family. This is a psychological issue. Should I tell my sister that I'm poz just in case I should bleed someday and possibly infect her and her family or should I keep quiet so she doesn't have to worry about me in general? This dilemma is really on my mind. Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Should you disclose your HIV-positive status to your sister in case you should someday bleed on her because you had a car accident? No, that scenario is extremely unlikely! However, I would encourage you to disclose your status to your sister, because she could be a good support for you. Considering the rather bizarre and morbid thoughts running through your head, I think you could use a stronger support system! Besides, if the situation was reversed and it was sister who was virally enhanced, wouldn't you want to know?

Dr. Bob

Previous
no viral load means what?
Next
"The Age Of AIDS"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.