Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Maybe we should add an "I" and called it AIIDS now?
May 18, 2010

I just read your blog on accelerated aging and since HIV does cause immune damage and also inflammation maybe we could just add another "I" to the title? Then you could still pronounce it the same, but it would have extra meaning...

If someone tests HIV positive and does not want to start drugs right away, what do you recommend to try and stave off some of the inflammation? I've heard fish oils can be helpful... should we take any over the counter meds on a daily basis?

Thanks,

M.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello M,

I wish I knew the answer to your question. This story is still evolving. I'll keep you posted as we learn more. Also, see below.

Dr. Bob

aspirin for inflammation? May 10, 2010

First congratulations on your mother's successful treatment of her stroke! You are great so she must be as well! My question is: Might small doses of anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin help reduce inflammation or is the inflammation you are talking about different than inflammation that aspirin can resolve? Just like there are anti histamines for allergies, might there be some way to 'block' the signals that cause hiv inflammation? Lastly I would enjoy your pontification on telomeres! Are not those the things that keep the two ends of chromosomes together as they are being pulled back into the soon to be divided cell in division?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Lazarus-mother. She had a fine Mother's Day yesterday.

As for using small doses of aspirin for its anti-inflammatory role for treating the inflammation associated with HIV disease, unfortunately that won't work. Small doses aren't helpful and larger doses on a chronic basis would cause side effects.

That said, we are working on some modalities of de-accelerating HIV early senescence. They include:

1. Combination antiretroviral therapy (cART). This reduces immune activation, however, he degree of immune reconstitution with cART is often suboptimal.

2. Inhibitors of pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as anti-interleukin 1 beta, anti-interleukin 6 or anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha.

3. Controlling translocation.

4. Use of statins for their anti-inflammatory effects.

5. Adjuvant therapies (recombinant human interleukin seven to stimulate thymus function and production of new T cells.)

6. Telomerase-based treatment. Telomeres are regions of repetitive DNA at the end of a chromosome. Telomere length has been proposed as a marker of biological aging. This is a very complex topic and beyond the scope of this forum. I'll try to include some additional telomere-related information into one of my future blog entries.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
re:dear doctor sir, pls help
Next
Weird Symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.