re:dear doctor sir, pls help

Sir, thanks for your intervention- sir we went to the three different gynecologists here in India and all three told us that they have never seen any pregnant women being HIV positive because of pregnancy. Sir my question is why most of the gyne are not aware? I trust your experience is much wider. Now medical institution here is recommending taking ART immediately after cd4 count test, they are also recommending us to terminate the pregnancy that obviously depends on us; they have given their ratio of 5 % chance that the fetus may get infection if we continue with pregnancy. Sir, if possible can you kindly pls suggest some expert in New York, if required I will definitely come to New York for the further help.

However I will be going for HIV PCR DNA test as per your suggestion. I as a person really do not believe in any of the lab reports because I know that my wife had never been exposed to hiv.

Pls suggest.

I would suggest you see an HIV specialist physician. He will complete the assessment of your wife's HIV status by running the appropriate confirmatory tests (ELISA with confirmatory Western Blot; qualitative HIV PCR DNA, if necessary). I would also advise not taking ART or getting a CD4 count, unless your wife is confirmed to be HIV positive (extremely unlikely). Whether she is positive or not, I would not recommend terminating the pregnancy. I doubt you'll need to fly to New York to sort this problem out! Once your wife's HIV-negative status is confirmed, you should have the HIV specialist write to the three gynecologists and educate them about the cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies that can develop during pregnancy and cause false-positive or indeterminate HIV-antibody test results.

Also, see recent post below.

thank you sooo much dr bob for all you do (pregnant and hiv - today) May 18, 2010

Hi at 10 weeks pregnant I went in for blood work and everything came back fine except my hiv test which came back indeterminate. I was devastated I had no idea what this meant and I was quite confused. My doctor didn't make things ne better she said she never seen this result and I should retest. I went home ranting and raving questioning my fiance about his sexual activity he said he had only been with me n I told him that was not good enough for me I wanted him to test. I new I had been faithful and our wedding was in june I was scared and having doubts was it a technical error or was he cheating on me my mind was all over the place. He got tested and the test came back negative...he was in the clear but I was wondering what about me....ne ways I got tested again 4 weeks later elisa/wb still the same result indeterminate. I was fed up at this point my doctor said well now we can rule out a technical error she was not comforting and made me feel like I was some type of freak or experiment she said we r just going to test u again I said no and stormed out of the office (mind you I am pregnant and very hormonal). When I got home I start doing my own research and discovered your forum and read other stories and there were pregnant women who had the same issue indeterminate results. I felt as if god sent me to your site because I was looking for clarity and found it in you. I took your advice and went a specialist where she said my indeterminate test were probably caused by cross reacting antibodies (as you said). She did not treat me like an experiment she gave me a rna test and the virus was not detected so today I am officialy hiv negative thank you so much for all you did the help and knowledge you give people is priceless god bless you and have a great day....smile because you make me and others hope and smile daily!

You're welcome sooooo much! Thanks for your thanks and your kind comments and for taking the time to write in and share your story. I'm confident it will help others who find themselves in similar situations.

Be well.

thank you sooo much dr bob for all you do (pregnant and hiv - today)
Maybe we should add an "I" and called it AIIDS now?