The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctor Please don't ignore this, I know I'm infected

May 18, 2010

I am 100 percent sure I have HIV. I previously mentioned that both myself and my wife both experienced shingles. Now I have constant intense headaches, major abdominal pains and a sore, raw throat that hurts very much. I have had a white spot on my right swollen tonsil for over a month now that did not go away or improve with three rounds of antibiotics. My throat hurts and I have muscle aches all over. I know I have HIV but have tested negative to 36 weeks, what can I do?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are 100% sure you have HIV and have tested HIV negative out to 36 weeks? Hmm. Sorry, but I disagree with your self diagnosis. Testing HIV negative out to 36 weeks is considered definitive and conclusive. A negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time.

I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, but what I can do with complete confidence is advise you what is not causing them: It's not HIV. No way. No how. No further HIV testing is warranted.

My advice is:

Stop perseverating on an illness that you do not have: HIV!

Follow up with a good general internist for any persistent problems or symptoms. But remember, these are not HIV related.

Read through the archives of this forum; particularly the chapter entitled "I'm Positive I'm Positive."

Dr. Bob

Needing peace;everyone does
thank you sooo much dr bob for all you do (pregnant and hiv - today)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint