Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bad Bad decision
May 17, 2010

hi doc. I really hope u can assist me. Two days ago i did the dumbest thing ever. I slept with a sex worker while intoxicated. I know its way 2 early 4 a diagnosis but im feeling highly depressed and paranoid. I cant sleep and im feeling dizzy as I type this. Apologies if my question is too graphic. Its jus that i keep replaying the incident in my mind to identify each action that aggrevated an already risky behaviour. I did use a condom. But neglected to check expiry dates. Thats strike 1. The condoms were RSA govt. issue. They were def. not torn or broken that much i do know. During the act i kept applying saliva 4 lubrication. ie. from my mouth onto my hand then onto her genitals. There was no direct oral. Half way thru the lubrication became a problem. I know baby oil is not a gud idea but thats wat she gave me and not being in my rite mind i used it. Stike 3. The only thing is the baby oil didnt work too wel so after 2 to 3 mins i rather used a new condom. Used the second one 4 few minutes then used a third for another few minutes. Jus couldnt ejaculate as the guilt startd creeping in so I gave up and took a shower in her room immediately. Doc all i know is none of condoms seemed damaged from my view. The condoms did not slip off at any point. My concern with the baby oil is does it make the latex become porous thereby allowing infections through. If so more or less how long does it take 4 the condom to get damaged by the baby oil. I used the condom with baby oil no longer than a few minutes b4 changing it. There was no direct unprotected contact of the genitals. But right now the guilt and anxiety is killing me. The main unprotected act was my hand 2 my mouth onto her genitals. I dnt hav any mouth sores that i know of. Is my not feeling well jus due to guilt and anxiety or can HIV symptoms set in after 1 to 2 days.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

". . . Right now the guilt and anxiety is killing me." That may well be true, because the chances of HIV infection are so extremely remote they are nearly nonexistent! Consequently, it's not HIV that's killing you!

It is true that baby oil can cause latex to denature, increasing the risk of condom failure (breakage). You used the baby oil for only a "few minutes" and you note that none of the condoms broke. Consequently your HIV risk is negligible. The hand-to-mouth-to-genital activity is not considered a significant risk for HIV transmission.

Because you are so very worried, I would recommend you get an HIV test at the three-month mark and during the interim seek help from your doctor for your anxiety, paranoia and depression. A referral for psychotherapy (counseling) and anti-anxiety/anti-depressant medication is warranted.

I'm quite confident your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sterilie needles at Paedeatrician- PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next
Need answers before I choose which doctor to go to!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.