Sterilie needles at Paedeatrician- PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Dr. Bob, I have written to you numerous times and have donated- thank you for the work you do. This is a difficult question, as obviously you weren't there, but I will ask it anyway as I am currently been treated for OCD for my HIV phobia, and hopefully an objective response from a sane person will help. I took my 2 boys for the vaccinations on Tuesday. The paediatrician got the pre packed vaccination kits ready and when my 5 year old saw the needles he lost the plot and kicked the doctor- the syringe and needle fell on to the bed with the plastic on it, and my paed said trhe needle was no longer sterile so he would change the needle- I wanted to buy a WHOLE NEW PACK. Then my 3 year old had his done from the pre packed kit, and that seemed fine. NOW................ If the doctor didn't change the needle and he used the same one that had for example fallen on the floor and it had fallen in some blood- could my son get HIV? Also, what happens if he just found another needle lying around and used it on a child with HIV before and then attached it onto the syringe, he could get HIV then, couldn't he? And lastly, are these "kits" for measles, MMR etc sterile? PLEASE give me your opinion as I am SO WORRIED I have exposed my children to this virus. Should I get them tested and would they have symptoms at 2 weeks or is it the paranoia talking? My paed is quite old school with a good reputation. Do you think I am just been mistrusting? Thanks! Paola

Hello Paola,

Your fears are totally irrational and completely unwarranted. Your OCD is OOC (out of control). The HIV risk to your kids is nonexistent. Yes, vaccination kits are sterile, frevinsakes! Doctors do not use or re-use needles they "just found lying around"!!! Your pediatrician did everything exactly by the book! Your kids are fine, but you're an anxious wreck! HIV testing for your kids is definitely not warranted; however, your continued treatment for OCD and HIV phobia certainly is!

Stop worrying! OK?

HIV/AIDS (HIV TRANSMISSION BETWEEN TWO HIV NEGATIVES, 2010)
Bad Bad decision