Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you, doc! Thank you very much!!
May 15, 2010

Hello there, doc!!!

It's the BFF Brazil guy again!!! Remember me?

I don't want to bother you, I just want to say thank you for your answer.

Doc, you're amazing and I will never be tired to say that!!

I know you will scold me for this, but I still haven't been tested... I will, I will!!! But I'm making my mind to go there... It's a promise, doc!! And you'll be the first one to know the results... I'm still affraid because that penis inflamation looks to be a candidiasis...

Well, besides thanking you, I have a doubt...

I've always read that it requires a minimum quantity of virus to make an infection. So doesn't only one virus infect someone?

Tears, sweat and saliva don't have enought virus quantity, right? Well, let's suppose that tears or sweat (or saliva without blood) make direct contact with boodstream (this hasn't happened, it's just a supposition). There are virus in there, even in small quantity. So, what happens to them?

Does the body kill them? Does the body creat antibody for them (even killing them)? In that case, a test could be positive because of those antibodies, without having any virus?

That's a curiosity, ok?

Once again, doc, thank you very much. You're an angel on earth and even knowing that you may know, I have to say that you don't know how much you help people...

Thanks a lot!!!!!

from your BFF Brazilian guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello BFF Brazilian Guy,

No, I won't scold you for not getting tested yet, but I will encourage you to do so. You'll be glad you did!

Regarding your penis inflammation, you should see a dermatologist to get that cleared up. Even if you have a candidal infection, that doesn't mean it's HIV-related. The vast, vast, vast majority of candida infections have absolutely nothing to do with HIV/AIDS!

The body's immune system has mechanisms other than specific antibody formation to battle invaders, such as HIV. Many HIV exposures do not lead to HIV transmission due to these mechanisms. Yes, a certain quantity (inoculum) of virus is generally needed to cause an infection.

Finally, you are correct: Tears, sweat and saliva do not transmit HIV (even if they were to get into the bloodstream).

Now, stop with all the hypothetical concerns and go get tested, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Private question, doc. Publish only if you want
Next
Re: Am I overreacting and Thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.