Chances of being HIV positive

Today, I found out that my partner of 5 years tested HIV positive. I had a HIV test back in July 2009 which was negative and then again today May 12, 2010, and it was negative. However, due to not knowing my partner was HIV positive until today we recently had unprotected sex about 10 days go. I am scared out of my mind. I am a women. I know I have to return in 3 months for another test. What are the chances that I have HIV?

Unprotected sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. However, it's important to note not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). The CDC's estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 1,000 exposures. Now that you've tested negative as a baseline, it's recommended you repeat your HIV-antibody test at three months and again at six months.

You and your partner should also review the information in the chapter on magnetic couples in the archives of this forum. Your partner may also want to review the "Just Diagnosed" chapter that can be found on The Body's homepage.

Good luck to you both.

Frequent bite by dog between HIV & non HIV persons
could it really be happening 2.5 years later??