Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hey There Handsome - It's you're Ole Buddy from Hollywood! How are ya?
May 15, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

Hello once again. What karma. This must be good. As I am writing this post, my assistant comes in and hands me your news letter. Hope you are doing well. It's been a while but I must say you were right. I had some underlying fears about HIV. I did not stop helping people, but I did deal with my issues. Now I am still seeing somebody but just once a week. So now this happens. Maybe you will can help me as this happened today after my visit with my counselor, and I do not want to be freaked out all week, till the next appointment. I really enjoy your work and now mine as well. As I am trying to help many with these issues as you are. I had another episode with what I might think is an HIV fear.

I went to the Lab X-press to get some blood work done. I brought a bag of candy for the girls. My cell phone rang and I went outside to talk so I was not being annoying to anybody in the office. When I came back there was a guy sitting in my chair and the candy was gone. The Candy was sitting at the top counter. So without thinking I picked up the bag without even thinking or looking at my own hand and gave it to the girls. I am worried because everybody there is for blood work. I don't know where this guy came from. Meaning did he just get there or did he already get his blood drawn. If this person is HIV + and not knowing whether he just got there, or if he had already been drawn. I picked up the bag with a cut on the top of my finger. What are my chances of getting HIV from this incident if something (anything at all) from him got to me?? I know HIV is a very small virus. I don't think I would of been worried if I didn't have a cut, but I did. Maybe some of his blood got on that bag and rubbed up against my finger. I don't know. Just wish I knew exactly what or what not to look for in these circumstances. Is there any scenario you can think of,,, that would put me at any risk or danger at all in this single incident listed above. What are the chances of getting HIV from the above?

I didn't even get tested, I am wondering if I should just NOW wait an extra 3 months. Afraid that I might of messed up the chances of getting accurate results due to me touching this bag.

Thank You for you Time and helping ALL of us who get anxiety over these types of everyday life occurrences.

Hey I'm a living example for all readers that even a famous person can have these types of fears. It happens to the best of us.

Your Old Buddy from Hollywood, Phil

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Fear-Filled Phil,

Welcome back to the forum, but sorry to see it's due to yet another completely unwarranted worry. Your HIV risk is once again completely nonexistent. Neither worry nor testing is warranted.

I'm pleased you are seeing a counselor for psychotherapy and gaining insight into your irrational fears. Be sure to discuss this latest incident during your next session, OK? In the meantime pass me a piece of candy. I'm hungry! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
i;ve looked? please answer!
Next
Frequent bite by dog between HIV & non HIV persons

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.