Condused

I have been HIV Positive for a year and a half, about 19 months. When I was first diagnosed my CD4 was 702 and my viral load was 5,000. Since then, my viral load has risen to plateau at about 15,000-20,000 and my CD4 averages between 620-680. I have dropped as low as 480 and my viral load has been up to 24,000. But this has only happened twice in the past year, after these labs my system returns to where it normally is and doesn't seem to change at all. The labs I am having now, are the same as the labs I had a year ago, however, now my doctor is telling me a should take medication. She says it is because of a new study and research that has proven that having HIV replicating in your body at all is damaging to the system. My most recent lab results were CD4-622, Viral Load 23,000, Percentage 30. I am a little hesitant to start medication with a CD4 in the 600's. Is a viral load of 23,000 damaging my system significantly in any other way? Are my labs showing that I should start medication? A year ago she would not have started me on meds, now she wants to. I'm confused.

You're "condused"??? Hmm. OK, if you say so.

The pendulum concerning when to start treatment has been swinging to the start earlier and earlier side for quite some time. The main reasons are the development and availability of new, novel, less toxic and more convenient antiretrovirals, and new information about the natural history of HIV disease, including the harmful effects of HIV-related inflammation. The inflammation caused by untreated HIV disease can have significant consequences down the road. Many HIV specialists, including yours truly, believe this HIV-associated inflammation is more dangerous than potential side effects and toxicities of antiretroviral therapy. I recently wrote a blog about this subject for this Web site. It's entitled "HIV Causes Accelerating Aging: Has AIDS Become Acquired Inflammation Disease Syndrome?" Check it out. It can be found by clicking on the "blogs" tab.

PEP- why the 4 weeks of Atripla for PEP?
I need some clarification, please