Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob (College Stud Really Needs Your Help) Please I dont know who else to talk to!! DONOR
May 11, 2010

Dr. Bob, I once again would like to say that I admire you and am actually getting my masters in counseling and guidance and am now thinking about specializing in HIV counseling thanks to you! I wrote to you about an unprotected sexual encounter I had with a woman of unknown status(vaginal sex)on Jan 6. Well a couple weeks after the encounter I came down with some symptoms that i have never felt before in my life as far as rectal discharge,lymph node swellage all over body, muscle spasms in calves and hamstrings from time to time and i feel like i got hit in the back of the head with a 2x4!! At 10 weeks 5 days after encounter I had full metabolic panel done, which was normal. Had cbc done and was normal, was tested for Hep a,b,c and was neg. Was tested for HSV, EBV, HIV from a blood sample sent to lab and all came back neg. Was tested for Syph, chlamydia and ghonnorea and all was neg.I had a hiv rapid test done at 12 weeks which came back neg and an elisa test done at 14 weeks which came back neg. I went to planned parenthood last week because symptoms have persisted and had another rapid test done which was unigold finger prick and it came back neg for hiv at 17 weeks or 4 months. The thing is they took a urine sample and told me there was an infection present in my urine and it has now been four months since the encounter.I am scared because I have taken two rounds of doxycycline but there is still an infection present and I have tested negative for everything known to man up to this point! Its the unknown that is killing me Doc! My questions are this: 1.) Is a 17 week unigold rapid finger prick test reliable or should i test with different method? 2.) If the infection in my urine was HIV would I have not tested positive by 17 weeks? 3.) Do ARS symptoms last four months!? 4.) I know you can't diagnose ober internet but does this sound familiar of any infection you may know of? 5.) Would my metabolic panel or cbc had been abnormal at 11 weeks if it was HIV? 6.) Knowing what you know would you Woo-Hoo if you were in my situation? Thanks ahead of time for your response doc I really do appreciate it and God Bless!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey College Stud.,

Welcome back to the forum.

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 17 weeks are definitive, conclusive, excessive, WOO-HOO-able, and move-on-able! HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted.

HIV has absolutely nothing to do with your urinary tract infection.

Nope.

I would suggest you get a urine culture, and also be checked for prostatitis. You could have nonspecific urethritis (NSU).

Not necessarily.

Absofrickenlutely. But I'd still get the urinary tract infection evaluated and treated.

Dr. Bob

Previous
FREAKING OUT (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT TEST, 2010)
Next
test result, how conclusive?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.