Do I have HIV? Depressed for a year with worry, Please Help!

Hi Dr. Bob

I have been reading your posts daily since the last year. You are very informative and I appreciate all the knowledge you have giving me in regards to HIV.

DR. I think I may be going crazy and I need your help. I have read that HIV will not survive on the outside of a sextoy but I am sure that I have been infected this way.

I was penetrated anally with an unprotected female used sex toy. The viberator was made from a thin rubber material, and had a hollow air filled center. The toy was not used by the female for at least 20 hours before my incident. My doctor told me that it was a no risk incident because HIV is to fragile to be infectious after 20 Hours. I explained that the toy had a small split at its tip and that I was afraid that HIV could have stayed active inside the air-filled toy and been pushed out inside me when penetrated.

I have been very sick since the incident 1 year ago. To many symptoms to list but all the symptoms of HIV including fatigue, dizzy, numbness in hands, feet and lips, sore throat with ulcers, penis pain with lumps in glans area, anal itch/pain and lymph node groin swelling.

Dr I am sure that I have HIV, I was tested for STDs including HIV antibody at 7 months after the incident all negative. My doctor will not test me again and the fear is causing me to become depressed. I live in a very small Canadian town so I am sure that the lab does not have much experience in HIV testing and probably use older testing.

Dr. Bob is it true that I had a no risk incident and that I have tested conclusive and do not have HIV? Please respond so that I can put HIV out of my mind.

I agree with your doctor: no risk.

Your negative HIV test at seven months is definitive, conclusive, and WOO-HOO-able. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. Even though HIV is not your problem, you do have a medical problem that requires attention. You are clinically depressed and you've developed irrational fears about being HIV infected. (". . . I am sure that I have HIV . . . the fear is causing me to become depressed . . . .") Your problem is psychological, not virological! I would suggest you seek psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront and conquer your irrational fears and also to treat your depression.

question on someone else's question!
FREAKING OUT (PREGNANCY AND INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT TEST, 2010)