Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just Visited a Reflexoligist
May 10, 2010

Hello Doctor,

I just visited a reflexoligist for some nerve pains i have. Anyhow he took my weight, height, blood pressure and lastly tested me from blood sugar. I was hesitating but he removed the cap and put in a new needle into the lancing device and then put the cap back on. I have no idea exactly how these lancing devices work and now i am extremely worried thinking if there was left over blood in the device that came into contact with the new needle.

Please help me out, can a lancet device which is re-usable after the needle is changed pose a risk for HIV or HEP C?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi

A reflexologist??? And he was checking your blood sugar? What??? Sweetie, you've been had. Reflexologists are quacks. Let's start with the fact there is not one shred of scientific evidence for reflexology's claim to manipulate energy ("Qi"), "crystalline structures" or "energy pathways!" Next, reflexology diplomas can be attained with as little as six months of home study; there is no licensing or regulation of the field. In essence anyone can practice reflexology with absolutely no qualifications! In 2009 there was a systematic review of randomized controlled trials of reflexology that concluded the latest available evidence does not show that reflexology is an effective treatment for any medical condition. It's just another alternative medicine sham and scam. As for checking your blood sugar, I can only assume it's another way the reflexologist can charge for "services", unwarranted as they may be. Generally speaking blood sugar monitoring devices are quite safe. You saw him use a new needle; consequently, I would not worry about HIV. I also wouldn't waste any more time or energy on quacks and their pseudo-treatments.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Personal and i really hope there will be a response
Next
COMMON PRACTICE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.