Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VivaGel ... Can it be true??
May 8, 2010

Hi Doc!

Always enjoy reading your questions and answers and I'm pretty sure you are on your way to saintly status! :) Anyway, I was poking around on the internet this morning and saw something about VivaGel, a lube that could prevent HIV and Herpes (how amazing would THAT be) and am wondering if you know much about it and if it really could be an answer to SO many prayers.

As always, you do amazing work and I know many, many angels continue to smile down on you and the fabulous work you do for us all!

Oh and in the words of Jiminy Cricket, "I'm no fool! No sirree! I want to live to be seventy-three I play safe for you and me 'cause I'm no fool!" :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Saintly status? Hmm. A friend once told me I was "going to heaven" for my good deeds. Another friend nearby overheard him and said, "Well, maybe, but I doubt you'll like it very much, and you'll probably voluntarily leave soon after you arrive to be with your friends and better people."

Regarding VivaGel, here's what I know. VivaGel is as microbicide gel that is still under development (in clinical trials) to help prevent STDs, including HIV and herpes. SPL 7013, the active constituent of VivaGel, has demonstrated some degree of efficacy in preventing genital herpes and HIV in animal models. The mechanism of action involves a "dendrimer" molecule, which binds to viruses and prevents infection and viral replication. Safety trials in both men and women have found the product to be safe and well tolerated. Further trials have been scheduled. Stay tuned and we'll keep you posted as to when clinical trial results concerning this and other promising therapies become available.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help! My son is crippled with panic.
Next
HIV from hair pull-PLEASE put me out of my misery, i beg you!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.