VivaGel ... Can it be true??

Hi Doc!

Always enjoy reading your questions and answers and I'm pretty sure you are on your way to saintly status! :) Anyway, I was poking around on the internet this morning and saw something about VivaGel, a lube that could prevent HIV and Herpes (how amazing would THAT be) and am wondering if you know much about it and if it really could be an answer to SO many prayers.

As always, you do amazing work and I know many, many angels continue to smile down on you and the fabulous work you do for us all!

Oh and in the words of Jiminy Cricket, "I'm no fool! No sirree! I want to live to be seventy-three I play safe for you and me 'cause I'm no fool!" :)

Saintly status? Hmm. A friend once told me I was "going to heaven" for my good deeds. Another friend nearby overheard him and said, "Well, maybe, but I doubt you'll like it very much, and you'll probably voluntarily leave soon after you arrive to be with your friends and better people."

Regarding VivaGel, here's what I know. VivaGel is as microbicide gel that is still under development (in clinical trials) to help prevent STDs, including HIV and herpes. SPL 7013, the active constituent of VivaGel, has demonstrated some degree of efficacy in preventing genital herpes and HIV in animal models. The mechanism of action involves a "dendrimer" molecule, which binds to viruses and prevents infection and viral replication. Safety trials in both men and women have found the product to be safe and well tolerated. Further trials have been scheduled. Stay tuned and we'll keep you posted as to when clinical trial results concerning this and other promising therapies become available.

Please help! My son is crippled with panic.
HIV from hair pull-PLEASE put me out of my misery, i beg you!!