Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob please help me!
May 8, 2010

Dear Dr Bob,

I made a huge mistake and dont know what to do next. I went to get PEP but it was beyond 72 hours so the doctor at emergency room didnt prescribe even though he stressed I need to get tested at 3 months and 6 months. I had a single incident with a CSW last week. I noticed some blood inside the condom. I am not circumcised. I noticed the blood much later and the doctor I met sounded very concerned. Please give me some idea how would you rate my risk.. Thank you and I will make a good donation from my next paycheck. Sincerely, -

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I agree with the emergency room physicians not prescribing PEP if more than 72 hours had lapsed from the time of your "huge mistake."

Assuming your condom failed (broke) or was not used properly, your HIV-acquisition risk would be the same as unprotected penile-vaginal sex. The CDC's estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your risk would be somewhat less, as we don't know the status of CSW you were schtupping. I agree HIV testing outside the window period is warranted, but don't freak out in the meantime. The statistical odds remain very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sexperience.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Common Practice
Next
I will donate....Please respond

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.