Dr Bob please help me!

Dear Dr Bob,

I made a huge mistake and dont know what to do next. I went to get PEP but it was beyond 72 hours so the doctor at emergency room didnt prescribe even though he stressed I need to get tested at 3 months and 6 months. I had a single incident with a CSW last week. I noticed some blood inside the condom. I am not circumcised. I noticed the blood much later and the doctor I met sounded very concerned. Please give me some idea how would you rate my risk.. Thank you and I will make a good donation from my next paycheck. Sincerely, -

I agree with the emergency room physicians not prescribing PEP if more than 72 hours had lapsed from the time of your "huge mistake."

Assuming your condom failed (broke) or was not used properly, your HIV-acquisition risk would be the same as unprotected penile-vaginal sex. The CDC's estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your risk would be somewhat less, as we don't know the status of CSW you were schtupping. I agree HIV testing outside the window period is warranted, but don't freak out in the meantime. The statistical odds remain very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sexperience.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Common Practice
I will donate....Please respond