Common Practice

I tried for an answer on the other blogs, but no dice.

How widespread is the practice of HMO's and their Dr's to play dumb on HIV diagnoses? In the face of glaring supportive evidence, these Dr's make the patient feel stupid and tell them that their symptoms are just "anxiety" and nothing more. Then, these Dr's order tests which are a cinch to return "normal" results, even from someone with FBA. With these results in hand, they can tell the poor patient "See! You are perfectly healthy, except for your 'anxiety'". By playing this game, the insurance company can afford to pay bonuses to the HMO and Dr's for stalling the expensive treatment and prescription costs. By the time the poor sap is dotted with Kaposi sarcomas and wheezing from TB and PCP, it is way too late. Any treatments will only go on for a few days or weeks before the patient drops dead. Bingo! Saved a ton of money!

In my HMO med group, this is a silent policy. Lead the patient along until they expire. The supporting "normal" test reports from CBC's, X-rays, urine...etc cover the Dr's ass in case someone attempts a claim against them. They can claim to had no indication of illness in the patient.

You tried to get an answer to this question from other physician experts and didn't get a response??? Wow! Imagine that!

Tell me something. Does your HMO have psychiatric services for the terminally paranoid? If so, I suggest you schedule an appointment without delay!

Question about symptom and donation
Dr Bob please help me!