Is there such a thing as partial disability?

I have been HIV positive for eight years, and I am on Truvada and Viramune, which seems to be working. I have a very stressful job, however, and I don't know how much longer I can keep it up. I am exhausted. I see a counselor regularly, and am on Wellbutrin for anxiety/depression issues.

I can't quit my job because I need the health insurance and I have a mortgage payment to make. I know that I am too healthy to go on full disability, but I feel like I am having a nervous breakdown and I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions? Is there such a thing as partial disability? How in the world to I address this with my employer?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

I would suggest you talk to your HIV specialist and your counselor and explore the possibility of work restrictions due to your health issues. Employers cannot discriminate against those with HIV. Your physician can limit your work hours or recommend a less stressful position. This would be for a limited period of time to see if your health improves. Transitioning to part-time or even consideration of full medical disability could be considered as a next step if temporary work restrictions do not help.

Good luck!

I don't know what else to do
Vocal chord inflamation the result of HIV?