The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does a person have to be tested for HIV-subtype M or O or N?

May 8, 2010

Hi, again. First and foremost, hope you're doing fine. and, second, thanks for answering my question. The only thing is that it left me confused. No doctor has ever said to test for HIV-1 (subtype M, N, or O), just HIV and HIV-2. My concern is that I have had numerous symptoms that are still ongoing. Have tested up to a year for HIV-1 and 2 and have all come back negative, but it raises a concern and fear as to whether M, N or O is yet another concern. I guess my question is do I have to test for M, N or O? No one has even mentioned to me anything about this subtype situation. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Gladly will continue to donate.

Response from Dr. Frascino


No, barring extremely unusual extenuating circumstances, specialized testing for subtypes M, O, and N is not warranted for routine HIV screening.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. A negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

I'd suggest you follow up with a good internal medicine physician for evaluation and management of any persistent symptoms. Remember, HIV is not your problem, OK?

Good luck

Dr. Bob

Positive male Neg Female
Inflammaging: Which tests are necessary?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint