From the guy of Brazil - I made a donate, doc!!! Just a last question

Hello again, Doc!!!!

It's the guy of Brazil again, remember me? BFF, as you said!

Your words were pretty words, as always!!!! I really admire your work, it's wonderful at all!!! I'm still concerned about you, but I'll check your blog, as you told me.

Well, I made a donate via paypal (not so much as I would like to, but this month I'm a little out of money, but I'll keep donating, ok???? I'll do it once every month!)

I would like to ask something to you and I know I'm being boring.... But a single answer and I'll be very very happy (and I won't bother you anymore).

I know that you maybe have answered it a lot of times, but I really need an answer from you, my friend doc!!!

I've already sent it to you. See if you remember.

13 years ago a relative of mine came visit us. He spent one month in our home and then when he went back, he told us about his hiv condition.

As I told you, I learned (with you DOC!!!) that there's no problem about living with someone +. But my problem is that I may have used his shaving razor in that time... I've never been "corajous" enough to get tested.

Now, 13 years later, I got a skin problem and I used a pomade (that contains corticosteroids). I got worst and I had to take 2 injections of corticosteroids (with other corticosteroids via oral). Well, the skin problem went almost away, but it becomes a folliculitis.

Searching the internet (a bad idea), I found that it could be due to weak immune system and I "linked" the facts. I started to be very very anxious.

It got worst when, one week later, I got a blepharitis. Then, a sore throat (light). And, one week later, an inflammation in my penis, 2 days after having sex with my wife. The "head" seemed a little "red". It "burned" a little and I had a little of pain too... I used another pomade and It's getting better.

The folliculitis is also almost gone, except for the beard area. My eyes almost don't burn anymore too (still do, but I think it's getting better)...

But I'm still in panic, doc... I got a lot of vitamin C + zinc, echinacea, to try to improve my immunity (and I got into depression, panic disorder, anxiety and OCD).

I didn't told my doctor about the razor case, and he told I'm all right (but he put me in medication for anxiety). But now I've been checking my weight every day, checking my skin everytime, and even my penis when I go pee.......

Now, in this exact moment, I have a trush (an aphtha, I don't know the exact word in english) borning in my tongue and I'm nervous again...

My question is... Do you think I have reasons to be like this? Is 13 years enough time to be calm and not to worry about it any more? My father may have used the razor too, and he's all right after 13 years...

I'm married (she's very well, we'll complete 4 years next month) and we plan to have a baby, but I'm affraid with that situation (and don't have courage to test.........)

What do you think about it, doc?

As I told, in your forum, I learned that (correct me if I'm wrong):

- hiv is a fragile virus (here in Brazil, people told that it can survive up to 2 hours, being effective in the environment and in a surface - the razor, for example)

- it's not airbone - it's not too easy to transmit - it's not a circus artist (you told that and I found it very cool!!!!) - and so on...

But I really need to read from you the answer to my problem, doc... Please...

Can I Woo hoo???

Thank you very much!

Hello BFF Brazil Guy,

As I have stated previously in this forum, the HIV-acquisition risk from a razor is extremely low. Your "symptoms" 13 years after your positively charged relative visited are not worrisome for HIV. Your problem is "depression, panic disorder, anxiety, and OCD," not HIV!

And what is this nonsense about being too afraid to get an HIV test? BFF Brazil Guy, it's time to grow a pair and accept adult responsibilities, including HIV testing! When it comes to HIV, it's what you don't know that can hurt you.

Can you WOO-HOO? No, you can not. HIV is ruining your life and you need to do something about it. I would recommend:

1. Get counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront and conquer your totally irrational fears of being HIV infected, and also for ongoing management of your "depression, panic disorder, anxiety, and OCD."

2. Get a single HIV-antibody test. The results will undoubtedly be negative. However, I believe seeing the results and going through the testing procedure will help you put your fears permanently to rest, where they belong! Then you'll be able to WOO-HOO with confidence, OK?

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

HIV Test / HIV Medication
First blip! - Should I worry. (BLIPS, 2010)