Re: Am I infected or just getting paranoia?

Had another rapid hiv test at 3 month mark post-exposure... came back negative. Can I woo-hoo? NB: no other exposures since Jan. 2010.

I haven't changed my advice since the first time you wrote in! (See below.) Because you had a significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive, it is recommended you have HIV testing at both the three- and six-month marks.

Am I infected or just getting paranoia? Feb 21, 2010

I met this lady sometimes in Nov. 2009, and we started dating. We had about 15 (protected and unprotected) sexual intercourse, I performed 2 unprotected cunnilingus on her, both in the month of Jan. 2010. On feb. 8th 2010, she tested positive for hiv, and on feb 12th 2010, i tested negative. Am very scared and can't stop thinking it's just a matter of time that i'll turn out positive??? pls help.

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Your negative HIV test in February is encouraging, but not conclusive. You'll need follow-up tests at three and six months from the date of last exposure.

Please note, you broke Dr. Bob's two cardinal rules:

Cardinal Rule #1: We must always consider that all our sexual partners could be HIV infected and therefore take all the necessary precautions to prevent the transmission of the virus.

Cardinal Rule #2: Always remember Cardinal Rule #1.

Try to stay calm. There is nothing you can do at this point other than wait . . . and learn from this experience!

Dr. Bob PLEASE, extra detail to question on Wed. @ 2pm ET
HIV Test / HIV Medication