Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

blood transmission on intact skin
May 7, 2010

Can you get HIV/HCV transmission via blood contact onto intact skin? I was performing a procedure and a few drops of blood from a HCV patient (unknown HIV status) landed on my Crocs, which was covered with cloth-like/OR style (blue) shoe covers that you use in the hospitals. After I removed the show covers, I noticed that there were small blood stains on my Crocs, which had perforations on the top of the shoes. I did not have socks on my feet, but when I examined my feet, there was no blood on my feet, as far as my eye could tell. There was also no cuts or abrasions on my feet. I cleaned it with alcohol and rinsed it.

However, can there be microscopic blood that can seep through my skin or through hair follicles, if my skin appears intact? Is there a reason to be worried? Does this even count as an exposure? Do I need to do anything about it?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV/HCV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. I see absolutely no cause for concern or testing.

To answer your basic question, no, HIV/HCV cannot permeate intact skin.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Poz Cop
Next
Bit by a homeless guy (HUMAN BITE, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.